Jogging is an effective workout that strengthens muscles, the vascular system, and the musculoskeletal system. Jogging can be done anywhere, at any time of the year. But many people are afraid to carry out such training in winter, they are embarrassed by low temperatures, snow and ice.
The benefits of running in winter
Winter jogging is incomparably more beneficial for the body than summer jogging:
- Snowflakes clean the air from dust and gas impurities, it contains more oxygen.
- Snow ionizes the air, oxygen is better absorbed, redox processes in the body are accelerated.
- Exercising in the fresh air hardens the body, improves immunity, strengthens health.
Morning jogging is a good way to improve mood, tone up, and raise self-esteem.
Safe Run Rules
In frosty weather, it is important to properly prepare for a run:
- In case of cold weather below -15 degrees, it is advisable to run indoors.
- Before exercising, do a little warm-up, warm up your muscles.
- Monitor your breathing, breathe through your nose.
- Return to the premises immediately after finishing your workout.
- Pace is not the main thing, keep a comfortable running speed.
- Find suitable places for jogging – no deep drifts, slippery areas. The paths in the park must be well trodden, the streets must be cleared of snow and covered with sand.
It’s good if it is a closed place, inaccessible to the wind.
The ability to choose the right clothes for running in a cold season will come with experience, the main thing is not to sweat or freeze. The temperature in winter can be above zero, and drop to -20, you must take into account the wind and sun.
Set of clothes for running:
- Thermal underwear – the bottom layer of clothing, wicks moisture well from the skin, keeping warm during training.
- Sweatshirts with long sleeves and closed neck, it is advisable to have a set consisting of a thin and fleece. The option with sleeves with slits for the thumbs is convenient, it retains heat well.
- Thin leggings should be worn at a temperature of about 0 degrees. Tight compression thermolines are suitable for subzero temperatures. Warm leggings will come in handy in severe cold weather; in severe frosts, they can be worn over thermal underwear. Skinny sweatpants can be used instead of leggings.
- It is recommended to add shorts for additional insulation of intimate places.
- Choose long socks or knee-highs that cover your calves.
- A thin windbreaker is good at freezing temperatures, a two-layer jacket with an adjustable hood is required for freezing weather.
- Hats – thin and thick knitted wool for cold weather. In cold weather, balaclava will help out, it protects the head, neck, cheeks.
- Gloves or mittens are required.
Shoes for running should have a soft sole with a shock-absorbing effect, a raised tread pattern. To improve traction on the ground, take care of additional studs. Choose boots with high tops and tight lacing to keep snow out of your shoes. Get replaceable insoles that you can pull out and dry. If you feel comfortable while jogging, then you have chosen the right clothes and shoes.